Thursday, September 25, 2014

Empathic Civilization

After listening to Jeremy Rifkin discuss empathy and different ways we as a society can come together I have began to think about how we can really bring out our "emphathic sociability". I personally think that if we were to just put ourselves in one another's shoes we could become an empathetic society. Like Dr. Pattie Thomas says we need to realize that hatred is a waste of resources. If we were all to realize that the time and energy we spend on hatred "could be used to pursue much more productive endeavors" we would all put the hatred away and become more empathetic towards EVERYONE around us. 
Going along with that, I feel like one of humanity's most pressing issues is hatred. So many people hate one another for invalid reasons. I myself, am guilty of that. However, I feel like if we put aside that hatred and began to think of everyone as equal we would begin to feel empathy for everyone as we do for our friends and family. I think that by eliminating this hate we would stop putting everyone under certain labels and begin to think everyone as just human. If we were to do this I think we actually could extend our empathy to the entire human race.
If you think back to Rifkin's speech you will hear him reference the fact that countries are actually "fictions" that we use to group ourselves together. If we stop this grouping we could and we would extend our empathy to the entire human race.

1 comment:

  1. Where does the hatred come from? (I'm guilty, too...)

    ReplyDelete